LOCATION

Location

Suite La Castellana

Torri del Benaco

The town center of Torri del Benaco was inhabited since prehistoric times and corresponds probably to the ancient Tulles, the capital of the Raethian people of the Tulliassi; in Roman times – under the name of Castrum Turrium – was an important center thanks to its strategic position on the route that united Peschiera to Riva. It was later populated by the Lombards, and in the early years of the 10th century Berengario I, King of Italy, to defend the country against the Hungarian raids, built castle and walls, still in part existing. In the 11th century Torri del Benaco was part of the county of Garda, then in 1193 passed to the City of Verona and then to the lordship of the Scaliger, who rebuilt the castle. The clock tower also dates back to the time of Scaliger and during the Venetian time, the heads of state met there for the administration of the country. After a brief period under domination of Visconti from Milan and Carraresi from Padua, in 1405 the town passed to Venice.

 

At the time of Serenissima in the fifteenth-century palace of Gardesana, the Council Gardesana dell’Acqua, a federation of 10 municipalities on the East coast, met with fiscal duties, territorial control and repression of smuggling. Thanks to trade and diversified economy during the rule of Serenissima the conditions of Torri were florid, and this is attested by the presence of a rich and numerous bourgeois class that left an evidence with some buildings, such as the Mari palace, in vicolo Cairoli, and the palace of Gardesana. During the Napoleonic Italy campaign, Torri was militarily occupied by the French; then came Austrians (they left in 1866 when the Veneto was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy). In the olive-growing country that lies between Torri del Benaco and Albisano, there are two of the oldest districts, Coi and Loncrino, situated near small rivers which present the evident features of fortified villages.